Our extensive art collection is a thing of beauty, with books, main-floor exhibits, and an online reference list.
ART BOOKS IN STACKS
709–General introductions to art (western/nonwestern) including Islamic, Egyptian, Roman, Greek, French, Spanish, Chinese, etc.
759-General History of Painting
ENCYCLOPEDIC INTRODUCTIONS TO TOPICS
• Dictionary of Art - see bibliography at end of articles for further research
• Encyclopedia of World Art - dated but still well-written articles
• McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Art
• New International Illustrated Enyclopedia of Art
• History of Art by H.W. Janson
SPECIFIC GUIDES TO SELECT GROUPS OF ARTISTS
• African-Americans, Native North Americans, Women, Latin Americans
ADDRESSES OF VARIOUS INSTITUTIONS
• International Directory of Arts - addresses for worldwide museums, public galleries, universities, art associations, galleries, auctioneers, restorers, etc.
BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS ON HISTORICAL ARTISTS
• Bryan's Dictionary of Painters and Engravers
• Cyclopedia of Painters and Paintings
• Who Was Who in American Art
• Mallet's Index of Artists
• Index to Artistic Biography by Havlice - refers you to books containing biographies
BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS ON CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS
• Contemporary Artists
• Lives of the Great 20th Century Artists
• International Dictionary of Art and Artists
BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS ON ARCHITECTS
• Macmillan Encyclopedia of Architects
• International Dictionary of Architects and Architecture
• Contemporary Architects
• Encyclopedia of American Architecture
BIOGRAPHICAL WORKS ON PHOTOGRAPHERS
• Contemporary Photographers
• Photography Encyclopedia
• Photo Book
ANOTHER USEFUL SOURCE
• World Painting Index
OTHER ART SOURCES
• Video collections - art museums, artists
• Educational CDROMs - museum holdings, virtual tours, etc.
• Willard Library art magazines: 10-12 titles
• On Exhibit: Art Lover's Travel Guide to American Museums 2002, by Swirsky
Check the bibliographies of good books on your subject to find related books and magazines. If Willard doesn't own certain titles, check with one of our librarians about either interlibrary loan from another library via INCOLSA WHEELS or Willard Library purchasing the book for the Willard collection. Please remember receiving titles in this fashion takes a while, so the earlier you make a request, the better the opportunity for Willard to fulfill your request within your timeframe.
• Willard Library - searchable online at http://www.willard.lib.in.us
Click on "Search Catalog" at top of page.
• Evansville Vanderburgh County Public Library - searchable online at
http://www.evpl.org Select "Keyword",
"Title", "Author", "Subject", or "Advanced" from drop-down menu at top left of page, type term or phrase in the search box, and then click "Search Catalog".
• USI - searchable online at http://www.usi.edu/library/library.asp Click on "Catalog" and proceed with search.
• UE - searchable online at
http://libraries.evansville.edu/ Click on
"Ace Catalog" at top left and proceed with search.
• IVY TECH - If you are not an Ivy Tech
student, faculty member, or staff member,
visit the Ivy Tech campus nearest you.
• INSPIRE - full-text magazine literature searchable at http://www.inspire.net .
BOOK OF INTERNET SOURCES
Jones, Lois Swan. Art Information and the Internet. Phoenix, AZ: Oryx Press, 1999.
- Provides websites of museums (Virtual Tours); art institutions; information on internet research; resources for architecture, photography, fashion, sculpture; and sources for North American and Non-European Cultures.
The Adele and Paul Torian Native American Leaders of the Mid-19th Century Exhibit features three volumes of Thomas L. McKenney’s History of the Indian Tribes of North America. With portraits and biographies of the great Native American chiefs of the 1800s, the series is considered one of the most important historical records of Native American life. A gift to Willard Library from Adele and Paul Torian, the volumes are on permanent display on the main floor of the library. Check the calendar of library events for the related lecture series.
Author: Peter Estersohn
A beautiful compilations of the Bluegrass states horse farms and houses.
Author: Claire L. Lyons
A premiere book on the compilation of cultures between Greece and Rome.
Author: Emile Galle'
One of the first ceramists of the Art Nouveau movement. Loving the art of poetics he fashioned his ceramics after famous works.
Author: Bradford R. Collins
Publication Date: 2009-12-00
Rothko's" Nietzschaen Quest" for the perfect abstract form in painting and color.