Willard Library is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome qualified applicants for the following full-time, part-time, and internship positions.
Posted: July 31, 2014
WILLARD LIBRARY JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: LIBRARY ASSISTANT/ SPECIAL COLLECTIONS
REPORTS TO: SPECIAL COLLECTIONS LIBRARIAN OR ARCHIVIST
JOB LOCATION: SPECIAL COLLECTIONS/ SECOND FLOOR
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma
JOB FUNCTION: Performs circulation, reference, interlibrary loan, and technical service functions related to the operations of the Special Collections Department.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: 100% clerical
1. Conducts routine circulation tasks; checking-in and out, entering patron registrations, updating patron files, updating bibliographic files, and shelving returned material.
2. Retains accurate statistics of circulation transactions.
3. Assists other staff members with complex circulation transactions.
4. Conducts troubleshooting of automated circulation system.
II. Patron Service
1. Offers assistance to patrons.
2. Assists Patrons with locating and using library resources and materials, and requesting interlibrary loan material.
3. Provides extensive reference assistance to patrons in person, by telephone, or via email
4. Retains accurate statistics of reference transactions.
5. Retrieves archival materials when requested.
III. Technical Service
1. Processes new Special Collections Department acquisitions.
2. Conducts Special Collections Department simple material mending.
1. Produces and distributes Special Collections Department publications, handouts, and fliers as directed by the Special Collections Librarian.
2. Updates the Special Collections Department portion of the Willard Library website as needed.
3. Conducts Special Collections interlibrary loan material notification, shipping, and material retrieval as necessary.
4. Participates in the materials selection and de-selection process.
5. Answers the departmental telephone in a courteous, professional manner and routes all incoming calls to the appropriate department or individual or takes and relays a message as required and/or requested.
6. Assists the Special Collections Librarian and Archivist with and attends Special Collections and Archives Departments’ events and programs as necessary.
7. Attends workshops, library meetings, and seminars as requested by the Special Collections Librarian.
8. Recommends supply ordering to Special Collections Librarian.
9. Performs other duties as required and other tasks as necessary.
EQUIPMENT: Computer and Peripherals, Telephone, Fax Machine, Photocopier, Microfilm Reader/Printer, Cash Register, and Calculator.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE: Written and Oral Communications, Outstanding Knowledge of Circulation Procedures, Database Searching, Computer Skills (PC Windows- based Software in Local Area Network Environment), Dewey Decimal Filing, Good Rapport with Patron and Colleagues, Ability to Shelve Any Given Library Material, and a Strong Public Service Attitude.
1. Physical: Able to lift 25 lbs above head with arms fully extended; lift and correctly shelve 100% of Special Collections and Archival materials consistently; able to shelve materials on 0” – 90” high shelving, requiring the ability to bend, squat, reach above head, climb 2’ vertically, and balance on 11” diameter step stool; consistently read 10-point font from 24” away; ability to do any or all of the following as needed for up to 8 hours with no more than two 20 minute resting intervals and one 60 minute resting interval: sitting, standing, walking, using computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor, reading, and writing.
2. Mental: Spoken and written English language comprehension at high school level; perform basic Boolean searching; able to arrange dewey decimal numbers in ascending order and correctly alphabetize; able to consistently follow at least 3 verbal or written instructions without cues or repetition.
3. Verbal: English language delivery at high school level.
4. Written: English language delivery at high school level.
NOTE: This is a 20 hours/week position. This may normally include weekends (Saturday and Sunday) and evenings.
High School Diploma; Strong Public Service Skills
How to Apply:
Complete application (available online for printing) and send with resume to email@example.com or US mail/ deliver in person to:
21 First Ave.
Evansville, IN 47710
No Phone Calls, Please